by Mrs. Tommye Reede
"We must not be Irish or African, or black or white. Not in
It seems altogether fitting that the site on which the new Library would stand had played such an interesting role in the history of the Town. Long before the Revolutionary War, Capt. William Hunt chose this spot as a suitable location for his estate. About 1644 the Hunt estate house was erected to be the parsonage of Rev. Marmaduke Matthews.From 1670 to 1726, it was the home of Rev. Zachariah Whitman, Harvard graduate, and the first minister officially appointed to
The venerable old house became the home of Lt. William Haswell, a British Naval Officer, after the demise of Veazie in 1767. HaswelPs daughter, Susanna Rowson, enjoyed her early years on the estate, and later gained fame as a distinguished actress, author and educator. The Haswell family made a further historical contribution to the site when they buried an English soldier, who had been wounded during the attack on the lighthouse in 1775, in their yard.
Older residents recall a library in the back room of the
This fondly remembered room was always in use, and its popularity necessitated the addition of a new room to the school in 1900. Book acquisition, circulation and school population continued their upward trend, and by 1912 it became apparent that the school needed the use of all its rooms and the Library, larger quarters. Accepting the findings of the Committee on the New Public Library, the voters, on March 13, 1913, appropriated the funds necessary to give the one-room Library in the school a building of its own.
Local architect Philip S. Avery was employed to draw up plans and specifications for remodeling and repairing the former cottage, and after these were submitted to interested builders, the contract was awarded to the lowest bidder, Mr. James Douglas, whose estimate was $2,127. The improvement of the grounds and the need for furnishings caused total expense to exceed the initial apportionment of $6,000, but the additional $1,000 needed to pay for the increase in cost was unanimously approved at the Town Meeting of July 8,1913.
This being accomplished, books and supplies were transferred from the Village School to their new home, and Ms. Mary E. Cleverly and Lizzie A. R. Knight, who had been elected Trustees of the School Library in 1888, along with Mrs. Carrie E. Mitchell, who became Trustee in 1895 (a position which she retained until her retirement in 1941), continued in their capacities at the Hull Public Library. Their report of 1913 stated that the building had been found attractive and well equipped, with much use made of the reading rooms. Open four times a week (three evenings and one afternoon), the year's circulation totaled 5,072.
The Library was to remain open only four times a week for several decades with the exception of 1918 when it was closed for a brief period as a result of the flu epidemic, and in 1922 when it closed for a month to repair books. Limited hours for circulation, however, did not prevent ft from rendering other services. Of noteworthy mention were its contributions to the soldiers stationed at
Again, in 1925, it sent many books to the Merchant Marines in answer to an appeal in their behalf by an Admiral Sims. Always active in Town functions, in 1930, it was a major participant in the Town's Celebration of "Old Home Week" which was held in conjunction with the Tercentary movement of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. For this occasion its doors were open everyday of the week and it registered 490 visitors.
Records from 1931 to 1953 reveal little more than vital statistics, such as acquisitions,circulation and borrowers, but 1955 found the Library open for a longer period with the Librarian's requesting additional hours. The Town's steady increase in population was being felt.
In 1959, the P. T. A. was asked by the Board of Selectmen to join with them and the Advisory Board to make a study of the Library for the purpose of providing longer hours, improving standards and qualifying it for State Aid.
Through the revelations and recommendations of this study, and the subsequent corrective and innovative measures taken, the Town now has a Library which qualifies for, and receives State Aid, whose staff is headed by a professionally trained Librarian, is open 6 days a week for ten months of the year and five days a week in the summer, owns approximately 30,000 volumes, circulates toys; records and more than 60,000 books a year and offers numerous other services to over 3,000 year-round and 2,500 summer patrons.